Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pediatricians

So I've begun the process of attempting to choose a pediatrician for Addiston. All of the books say I should have started this process weeks ago but I didn't see the rush and frankly didn't know where to start. I've never known anyone to go and interview prospective doctors before and I found the concept a little bit perplexing however decided to embark none the less.

Two weeks ago I asked my OBGYN if she had any that she would recommend, she had 2. One was a practice which she said many other moms that go to her use and they are always very pleased and the other was a practice that she took her children to but she did confess it was simply because of location.

The first practice I visited on Monday. It has recently moved to a brand new facility and is very nice. There are separate waiting rooms for sick and healthy children. (not just a pathetic half wall and paper signs saying sick side/well side.) I was very appreciative of this as newborns are much more susceptible to illness. (1 point) There were a variety of magazines and a few toys mainly coloring books and crayons. The lollypops they hand out are organic (2 points) and there was a flat screen tv (good for avoiding awkward I'm sitting next to you in a doctor's office small talk.) The staff was very friendly (both when I called to make the appointment and when I arrived) making sure my insurance was accepted, confirming my due date and showing me to the restroom. (3 points) The wait time to see the doctor was acceptable, I didn't keep track, but had time to flip through a small local magazine. The doctor is originally from Nashville but went to medical school at the University of Cincinnati and did her residency at Cincinnati Children's hospital, (has been ranked in the top 10 in the U.S for the past decade) (4 points) Besides the fact that she shares my love for Skyline chili and LaRosa's (I want to give points for this but will abstain) she has children (5 points.) This is something I thought to be important but didn't see the necessity in until I got pregnant. Truth be told, people without kids just function differently. It's not a bad thing, it takes all sorts of people to make the world work. It's just a fact of life, I've noticed it more so in my friends and family lately than I ever have before and the thought of going to a pediatrician without children is perplexing to me as I don't possibly see how they would be able to relate, react, or comfort new parents.

Now, on to the second practice I visited yesterday. However I feel as if it is necessary to bring up the fact that I had to call this office 3 times in order to make an appointment each time was treated rudely, (once by the answering service, once got disconnected, once by the lady who actually made the appointment) my GPS got me a little confused (2 buildings, 1 driveway, both medical suites) so I was a little bit late. When I called to asked where to go exactly the nursed acted like i was a moron. (consensus? rude nurses=-1 point) The office is just outside of the hospital where I will be delivering and is older which isn't a big deal except they have one giant room with sides designating where sick and well patients are suppose to sit, as if germs can't cross the great divide of air. (I mean really) (-2 point) The wait time to see the doctor was a bit longer but I can't complain about it because I was 15 minutes late for my appointment. This office does have a private room for nursing if necessary while I'm at the office (back up to -1 points) When I did get to see the doctor, I loved her. She has nothing to do with Cincinnati so I was all prepared to automatically not like her but she is sweet and energetic and fun. She's a bit younger, she went to medical school at Vanderbilt University and did her residency at Vanderbilt Medical Center (which has the only children's hospital in the city, Nashville's weird) She has been with that practice for 2 years and loves it. She told me a lot about herself and was very curious and seemed to want to genuinely get to know me. She is someone I could be friends with, I liked her quite a bit. ( back up to 0 points) After talking for almost half an hour I did learn that she has no children, not a deal breaker but is something I would appreciate.

So I really thought going into the second doctor that I had already made up my mind, The first practice was exception and the doctor more than acceptable. The second practice was frustrating and rude but then the doctor made me love her. I was truly torn!

After talking about it with Jared last night and sleeping on it we decided this morning to go with the first practice. If you think about it when you go to the doctor's office most of your time is really spent with the staff. The receptionist checks you in, the nurses weigh the baby, take their temperature, blood pressure, and ask you all the developmental questions as well as measuring length/height. The doctor comes in reviews things and does the shots. So for a 30 minute appointment your usually only with the doctor for 5-10 minutes. Not to mention anytime I call concerned or to make an appointment I'm going to be dealing with the staff.

So that's one huge thing crossed off of my "before she gets here to-do list" and I can move on the pre-registering at the hospital!

Some interesting things I learned from both doctors:
~You can't put sunscreen on babies till they are 6 months old. They don't have the ability to sweat yet which is why they shouldn't be out in the sun, not because of sensitive skin.
~If Jared takes a blanket that Addiston was in home from the hospital before we bring her home for good, the cat's are less likely to be all over her when she get's home, because they will know her smell. (this is true for any animal)
~The only true way to tell a babies temperature is rectally.
~Jaundice is hereditary (we're screwed)

Also this week I had a doctors appointment for me. I'm measuring perfectly an my weight gain is still on track! Hopefully no 10 pound babies! The nurse did comment that she was interested how I'm breathing as Addy is so far up in my ribs it was amazing. I told her "I don't" and that's pretty much true. One more week until I'm considered full term and this little one can make plans to come out! Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment