Tuesday, August 23, 2011

vacation

Photobucket
Yesterday morning, as I made a comfortable seat out of sand and positioned myself so I could sip a cold drink, watch the pelicans and still keep an eye on addy who was busy investigating sand mounds beside me, I did what you may have done at the intake of this very sentence. I laughed. Seriously. Seaside drinks? Pelicans? Babies and sand dunes? Ride a unicorn, why don’t you.
Photobucket

We took a long weekend and drove out to Hilton head Island. We were a little aprehensive about taking a vacation, just our little family of three. But we believe in the importance of getting away and experiencing new things. So we planned, we packed, and we went. And boy did it pay off!
Photobucket
Photobucket

My girl loves the ocean. Running into it full force, all but leaping from her daddy's arms to get at it, splashing in the wakes as they threaten to knock her on her little swimmy diaper padded bottom.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

We dug out sea shells, climbed lighthouses, and watched the sun rise and set.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
And right there I felt that realization of I am small and the World is big. The experience of watching the sun set is humbling and appropriate, everyone needs a reality check once in a while, that the world doesn't revolve around them. I miss the mark so many times when it comes to making plans, but something I always seem to get reminded of when on vacation is to not let my life revolve around the clock, to rise with the sun, enjoy the time that has been given me and then rest, follow the natural rhythm of things. It is good.
Photobucket
We are learning how this works, I think I like it, my little family of three. I feel so very blessed that we were able to take a vacation and that we had a successful one, avoiding sleepless nights and temper-tantrums thrown in hotel lobby's. I'm not saying it was perfect, we may or may not have hid in the bathroom for twenty minutes while Addy was falling asleep, but we went, we relaxed, and I didn't look at a clock the whole time!

No comments:

Post a Comment